So do you Really Need One?
And then there is Google -Ruler of the Internet
If you are using Google Analytics then it worth visiting their terms and conditions about what happens with personal data:
- You need to identify which data is being collected and why it is being collected e.g. is it for Analytics, Email Marketing etc?
- You need to set out if any third parties will have access to any of the data either directly like Email Marketing platforms such as MailChimp or indirectly through things like social media shares and app integrations.
They are the independent national regulator for privacy and freedom of information – particularly in relation to how government held information can be held and protected – but the principles are the same for private businesses.
While the Privacy Act covers government agencies and organisations with a turnover of more than $3million, it also covers private sector health service providers including mainstream medicine, complementary therapists, such as your naturopath or massage therapist, gums, child care centres and schools and other education providers. Credit providers, government contractors and employee associations (such as unions) are also included under this umbrella.
Smaller or non-related business can opt-in to be covered by the privacy legislation and this may benefit your brand, show trust and build integrity.
You can download a full copy of the Australian Privacy Principles Guidelines here, but at 213 pages it will take you a while to get through!
There are thirteen Privacy Principles and they cover:
- management of personal information
- collection of personal information (both solicited and unsolicited)
- use and disclosure of personal information
- direct marketing
- cross-border disclosure
- quality and security of information, and
- access and correction of information.
Found a spelling or grammatical error in this post? Then contact me as soon as possible and let me know. In return for your super proof reading, I will offer you a free 30-minute review of your digital presence and some fresh ideas you can try out for free.
Get in Touch
If you’d like help with your website or your blogging, then make a time to chat by using the orange button below. I can help you to:
- Clarify your target market.
- Identify the suitable images that will resonate with your message and your target market
- Create keyword rich content to update your site and entice your customers
- Get your digital presence ranking up.